Article provided by: OC Teen Center
According to NEDA, about 3-5% of teenagers in the United States have bulimia, anorexia, binge eating disorder. An eating disorder can occur for a couple of different reasons. In most cases, eating disorders can occur due to a combination of different factors, which include genetics, peer pressure, image concerns, exposure to the media, and more.
Eating disorders are also known to have a psychological component. A lot of people with this type of disorder have at least one co-occurring mental health disorder like anxiety, bipolar disorder, or depression. If your teen has an eating disorder, you maybe be thinking about the pros and cons of professional treatment for eating disorders in California.
Pros of Professional Treatment For Eating Disorders
Like most other behavioral conditions, choosing Pediatric mental health services in Orange County for teens who have an eating disorder offer several important benefits, some of which include:
- Improve your kid's understanding of his or her condition. Some individuals may not totally understand why their eating disorder developed, and they may not be sure how to overcome the symptoms. During counseling, your psychiatrists can help you understand the underlying issues that led to the development of your kid’s eating disorder and how to overcome them.
- A lot of people who have an eating disorder also have co-occurring mental health diagnoses like depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, or a combination of these health issues. Through professional treatment, your psychologists can help you identify and treat co-occurring disorders.
- When you receive treatment from eating disorder therapist orange county, you are likely to discuss the issues of self-esteem and body image. In many cases, those with the eating disorder usually suffer from a negative body image and low self-esteem, which may contribute to your eating disorder. One of the clinical goals of child psychologists in Orange County California is to evaluate these issues and address them during therapy.
- After the completion of your eating disorder treatment program, your kids can go back to their lives. And since certain life situations or stressors can make you relapse, most eating disorder treatment programs help you create coping skills that you can use to deal with these situations when they occur.
Cons of Professional Treatment For Eating Disorders
There are a couple of cons to seeking professional treatment for an eating disorder, and they include:
- Sharing emotions, thoughts, and behaviors with others, especially a group of people, can be uncomfortable and challenging.
- Due to the nature of support groups, some subjects can arise that may make your kid uncomfortable.
- Some support groups are not organized by professional counselors or people trained in these types of cases. There are particular risks associated with maintaining confidentiality, dynamic, group safety.
- Some group programs are not personalized, so while the details they offer may be helpful, it is also generalized and doesn’t take into account your personal needs.
- Treatment success mostly depends on a teen psychologist in Orange County that your kid can connect with. If the relationship with the eating disorder therapist orange county is not strong, it can be challenging to completely opening up.
Seeking Professional Help
While the tips above can help you get a sense of the pros and cons of professional treatment for eating disorders, it is important to get professional help on the right treatment for you or your kid’s situation. At OC Teen Center, we offer a treatment program in Southern California, and we can help your teen overcome his or her eating disorder. To speak with Admissions or to ask questions, contact us by phone or email
View Larger Map